View Single Post
Old 12-05-21, 10:28 AM   #52
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
I play AotD with several “personal rules” which I plan on drafting up and posting at some point, but one of them is I have to “earn” the ability to use the tactical chart to aid the approach. I keep it zoomed in always so I can’t practically see anything. When I sight a target, I pay attention to the “targeting cross” on the ship. When it gets bright, meaning its data has been figured out, only then may I zoom the chart out and use that as a reference.

This adds quite a challenge, is a good compromise and forces you to try to match course and speed parallel for a while as in real life to get the data prior to doing anything else.

Good stuff. Personally, I consider the chart (including the one in SH3), etc. as an aid to make up for the lack of situational awareness/crew info. one would be given as commander irl vs. a computer. Even standing on the bridge in SH3, one's field of view is nothing like it would be irl, i.e.
For that matter, I also like the true bearings AOD gives you; simulates the info. a crew member would figure out/plot and give you as commander anyway.
Plus, it's something that always has to be determined even in SH3. AOD just does it for you instead, which as I prefer the role of commander vs. a handful of crew members, seems about right to me.