View Single Post
Old 12-25-20, 04:46 PM   #90
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I did several VR flights now, in GA propeller aircraft of various types, one engine and turbo prop.

I just came back from a flight from La Guardia to downtown Manhattan at late afternoon and sunset, seeing the transition from (darkened) day time to an electrically lit city, and back to La Guardia.

Everybody is complaining about how bad frames are - in 2D already if you fly over such urban areas with high building density. However, I am absolutely stunned how absolutely smooth and fluid frames for me are at mostly medium and some high gfx settings, and in VR! Its a miracle, I would have bet money on that this would not be possible. Absolutely stunning.

There are also complaints about no MP planes in Multiplayer visible, however, I cakme across severla small planes, mostly acrobatic planes, ding stunts and air dances between the skyscrapers at Manhattan. MP definitely is there.

I rate FS2020 as a must-have-app for VR now, like Google Earth already, just that here the immersion and visual details is even higher. Might not be practical in IFR and with complex button-pressing airliners, but in VFR this is as close to the real thing as it can ever get during our lifetimes. I criticise Google and Microsoft a lot, but did justice to Google and praised them for making Google Earth, and it is only fair that I say the same about Microsoft this time. What they and their subcontractor-developer have achieved here, with all that AI-directed coordination of all these different databases, is a miracle, a computer-digital fairy-tale. Unbelievable.

If you don't try it out in VR, its your own fault!

Oculus users: you must open the oculus tool and deactivate FOV Stencil to get rid of that black frame on the right side of the viewing field. Also b e aware that the visuals is optimised not for old Rift models with their low resolutions but for the likes of HP Reverb G2 now. It is noticable with the cockpits's texts and displays, sicne the cockpits are correctly scaled, the letters often are diffiuclt to read with a Oculus Rift's resolution. That is no fault of the sim, but of the now slightly aged VR display's technology.

In January 2023, the Facebook-activation for my kit will become mandatory, and since I do not accept Facebook, late 2022 will be the time when I buy new hardware - at least the latest VR headset avialabole then: G2 or better. My Rift will then have served 5 years, so will my rig have. I will see how it can run a better VR resolution, or not.

My rig becomes quite hot, VERY hot, in VR with FS20, to a degree that I only know from Assetto Corsa Competizione. If I am lucky, my CPU starts smoking and ends in ashes before January 2023, I then have an excuse to buy new expensive kit before that date.

Last edited by Skybird; 12-25-20 at 04:56 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote