View Single Post
Old 05-11-19, 12:57 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz69 View Post
also most of the SH3 and 5 players do not use steam so this data is kind of biased
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaguyinnc View Post
What we all liked about Silent Hunter series has aged.. Both these games in their respected category will shine above all of the Silent Hunter series.. but that is just one opinion..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub187 View Post
What IS encouraging though, is that Uboat seems to grab the interest of an entire new player base with little knowledge of the uboot-war and hungry to learn more about it, which is absolutely great!
Times change, what an older player remembers fondly and still loves, a newer player sees as a dated piece of history that belongs in a museum. When SH3 was still in development one SubSim member posted that what he wanted to see was a serious update of Aces Of the Deep. I was disappointed with SH5 because they tried something new and it wasn't what I wanted in a U-boat simulator. Someone asked why I wanted more of the same-old, I replied "Because they still haven't done it right."

"Right"? What is "right"? Right was what I wanted, and anything else was wrong. Well, I've had to learn to live with the concept that nobody is ever going to do it exactly the way I want, and I don't have the time or the money or the expertise to do it myself. So I'll stick with SH3, and I'll stick with SH4, and I'll finally give SH5 a try, but only because of the new mods.

And when I have the time and a couple of extra bucks I'll definitely buy U-Boat. It looks interesting to me. What I won't do is get involved with the "Mine is better than yours" kind of silliness I saw when SH4 and SH5 came out. Unless it's truly bad every game has its fans, and those fans like it for their own reasons, and their reasons are just as valid as mine. I'm not knocking you guys at all. This is a fine thread, and the comments so far are fair and good. I also think the "Who's playing what" list is sort of interesting. But in the end it's also useless except as a point of interest.

All of the above is hot air - just my little rant. Not aimed at anybody here now, just a reaction to the way I've seen these things take off in the past.