View Single Post
Old 12-27-20, 05:29 PM   #1
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Default Do we have a cooking thread?

I was doing some shopping on Amazon just now and found this:

Zataran's Caribbean Rice mix is awesome but it hasn't been available for a while, at least not locally.
While its sold as a side dish, it makes an outstanding full meal if you add to it. Such as..

I start a couple of cups of water* boiling in a pan and then cube a raw, skinless/boneless large chicken breast**. The chicken gets added to a hot oiled skillet with a dash of salt and a liberal amount of Tabasco sauce (about 6 shakes). While the chicken cubes are frying, add the rice mix to the boiling water. On the package directions, when you are told to reduce heat to a simmer, also add the fried chicken cubes and stir well.

Just before the rice is finished cooking, add about 1 tablespoon of sour cream (for non-north americans, sour cream is the dense, milk-based putty you serve on a baked potato, plain yogurt might also work but I haven't tried it yet).

And that's it. Serve in a bowl like chilli.

Makes a great cold-weather dinner but is also a quick dinner for any time of the year.

*- Its been at least several years since I've been able to buy this stuff. Just follow the directions on how much water to boil. If it calls for butter or oil, you can omit them since you'll also be adding chicken fat later.

**- You want about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of raw boneless chicken. Fry until the chicken cubes look to be cooked, it will cook fully once you add it to the rice while it simmers.

Last edited by ET2SN; 12-28-20 at 12:50 PM.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote