View Single Post
Old 09-03-19, 09:46 PM   #68
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Default WEEKLY UPDATE

Hello again, everyone!

More CIWS work since last update. Redid their trajectories to match the performance listed with real CIWS guns - the ballistic range of the AK630 is listed as 8km, with its effective range as ~4km. Also knowing muzzle velocity and gravity, this constrains the drag, and so I'm fairly confident the new ballistics are far more accurate to reality.

Also great news for sound delays...

[Music by Scott Buckley – www.scottbuckley.com.au, used under CC BY 4.0 ]

On shooting down a missile, there's only a certain chance you'll set off its warhead. The P-500 Bazalt carries a solid metric ton of high explosives, making an impressive explosion when it goes.

A Slava-class cruiser and a Spruance-class destroyer cooperate to test the Spruance's Phalanx guns.

CIWS effectiveness turned up to illustrate missile destruction effects.

I think in the finished product, the actual odds of a Spruance shooting down two incoming Bazalts with CIWS guns alone would be very low.

Of course a Slava would never be engaging a Spruance at such close range in this manner, certainly not without the two ships firing guns at each other. This was just a dev scene set up to test the CIWS code. Decided to record some and add some music.

The effectiveness of the Phalanx guns can be modified - the tracking system actually calculates the lead, and every tracer has real collision with the incoming missiles, for very surprisingly little performance cost. At 1:30 you can see this pay off with a very unlikely event - rounds meant for one missile happen to hit another and shoot it down. Perhaps there's a naval sim out there that does this kind of calculating-every-round on point defense guns, but I don't know of any.

I don't think real Phalanx guns use tracers except on the C-RAM/land variants (though perhaps they did in the early 80s), but this is a rare spot where I've taken artistic license, and it's also useful to see where the rounds are going for developing the targeting code.

Someone's already suggested customizable tracer colors - that should go nicely with being able to turn Phalanx tracers on/off.

At any rate, I'm surprised at how well I got the lead targeting script. If it's set to maximum effectiveness, it can reliably almost instantly shoot down missiles all the way at the edge of its range.

Last edited by AzureSkies; 09-03-19 at 10:45 PM.
AzureSkies is offline   Reply With Quote