View Single Post
Old 07-12-17, 03:31 PM   #34
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
How strong is that hull? why not ask the 1992 crew of the K-276 Kastroma, while submerged the Kastroma collided with the Los Angeles class submarine USS Baton Rouge SSN 689 the damage to the Baton rouge was deemed so severe the vessel was deemed uneconomical to repair and scrapped, the Kastroma suffered Minor damage to her sail and now wears a kill star.
To be fair, the Sierra took its damage in the sail, which is outside the pressure hull. Sails are also reinforced for ice penetration. Also, titanium has about the same strength as steel; its advantage is its lower density, so for the same weight you can get twice the thickness of hull, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan
Before you say it the USN has the seawolf class SSN yes i know it can dive to over 600 meters, however she isn't made of titanium she is made of HY130 steel unlike the 688's, Virginia' Trafalgar Swifsures and Astutes which are made of HY80 steel.
I thought the Virginia was made of HY80 as well, but I've seen that the Seawolves are made of HY100 and the Virginias of HY120 (for any who don't know, this means yield strength of 120,000 psi).
http://www.aticourses.com/blog/index...-shark-at-sea/

In all this discussion of American vs Russian submarines, it seems like the Russian submarines were much more of science projects. As in, the Americans found a design they liked and kept making subs like that while the Russians kept experimenting. Whether this is because they couldn't make up their minds on a sub design or wanted to keep improving/exploring is something I can't comment on.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote