View Single Post
Old 11-24-22, 09:32 AM   #635
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostfriese View Post
That are some 30 additional flight decks over the coming seven months.
Yes, the majority of them are CVE, but as it happened in reality they can support invasions while your CV/CVL-fleets go for enemy ships.

If I read it right you have already checked your opponent's offensive capabilites. He might be able to go on offensive against single weak points, but he no longer has the ability to pull of a major offensive.

And shouldn't the dreaded Mk 14 finally become a reliable weapon towards autumn 1943, so that your submarine offensive can finally unleash its full potential?

As victory in the game is measured in victory points: does your opponent have realistic chances to win an (early) victory by points?

Ha! I wish the Mk14s problems would go away. We hit a cargo ship twice on the next turn, both duds. The current dud rate should be 20%, which will decrease to 10% in September 1943. But, as frustrating as that is, the Mk14 is still responsible for more ship kills than any other weapon by a wide margin. Since 27 June 1943, we sank these ships:

I've highlighted just about everything not killed by a Mk14--I left the depth charges and the Dutch sub torpedoes alone since it's easy enough to figure out how those kills happened. (In the case of the Tokyo Maru, it was also sunk by a Mk14, I think credit is given to the Mk13 because it was originally hit by an Avenger/Beaufort near Shortlands, but its convoy was harassed by submarines all the way back to Japan, with USS Tunny delivering the killing blow on 3 August.)

Victory points: he leads me by a 1.106:1 ratio right now.
An auto-victory would require 4x victory points in 1943, 3x in 1944, and 2x in 1945. So there's no risk of that happening against me. I expect this ratio is going to hold pretty constant until I start retaking really important territory--failing at Java was a large lost opportunity.