Old 08-15-20, 03:51 PM   #6
cheeky_kaleun
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
-C
All of this study and reading also makes me sad that the UK never kept a single dreadnought as a memorial. The only Jutland ship we have is the Caroline, and the only capital ship are the HMS Belfast and the nuclear sub we are going to keep as a museum.

My idea is that we should refloat the HMS Royal Oak. It served at Jutland and was sunk in World War 2. It's only under about 60 feet of water, we know it can be done because scrap dealers refloated almost the entire scuttled German fleet at Scapa Flow to carve up and sell off for the metal value.

Some say leave it alone, it's a war grave, but by now there are no dead bodies down there. I'd rather the sacrifice of Royal Navy officers and sailors be commemorated with a dreadnought battleship museum that young people can visit and learn about our naval history in the two world wars. They could even get two of the 15-inch guns working again and fire off blanks a few times a month, to demonstrate to visitors the vast power of these extraordinary machines.

So, I'm going to go ahead and buy a book on Jutland. What would you recommend? Obviously I'm new to all this but I have a pretty good grasp of the various ship types, the naval strategies involved, the various players, etc.
cheeky_kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote