View Single Post
Old 06-24-12, 06:05 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

DX9.

Due to performance. And due to the fact that the sim is not optimised for DX10, and is not meant to be played in DX10. There are many graphical artifacts caused by it, I recall problems with the lights for example, as well as problems with the runway textures and addon scenery not being shown correctly.

Complex aircraft addons sometimes are recommended by the developer to be run in DX9, too.

So again, FSX is no DX10 title. Microsoft simply did not follow that road with the needed determination, and left it behind halfways, unfinished.

But sure looks nice, especially with bloom light. But I would recommend to switch off bloom as well. It is a frame killer, and on older systems can make flights at night over cities and airports unplayable.

Red October,

the combo FSX and PMDG737NGX works fine and leaves everything FS9-related behind in system depth, smoothness and complexity. I fly nothing else anymore than this. I had a great FS9 installation that was stable and rich in addons (environment, weather, texture, airport sceneries, mesh), but FS9 suffers from being developed for an OS that did not knew more memory than 3.5 GB. There is the famous out-of-memory (OOM) bug plaguing FS9 installations on modern OS, therefore. I delayed it a bit by pushing down options (! on better hardware than my old system with winXP!), but it worke donly for flights not longer than 20-30 minutes, then the sim had reached the limit of memory it could handle, and ctd'ed. on x32, that is 2 GB, and by a tweak you can increase it to 3.4 GB or so, but that is the end of the ladder then. If those 3.4 get hit, the sim exits, you can have as much RAM installed as you want: I have 8, for example, and still ran out of memory at 3.4 or so.

I have left out Ultimate Terrain X and Ground Environment X now, at FL230 you do not see that anyway, and I also left out FS Global 2010. I also need to switch of any air traffic - then the sim runs stable and smooth on my rig and w7x64. I have many airport sceneries around Europe, and REX2. This now is the best flight simulator experience I have ever had. Since the PMDG737 is so superior to the good airliner modules I had in FS9 (PMDG747, Level-D 767, Flight-1 ATR72), I do not miss the old ones. Great scenery looks at taxiing, starting, landing, docking, fantastically looking weather, fantastical system depth and fantastically realistic cockpit - I cannot wish for more from a civilian flight sim (which in case of dedicated emergency simulations leaves behind any combat flight sim regarding stress that I ever played, and easily so!) The printed versions of the documentations cost around 400 dollars and have three and a half thousand pages or so, much of that being original Boeing material. If I would have the money, I would at least get the pilot'S quick reference manual which mimics the looks and feels of the original ones they use in reality. Having this or the others as printed PDF's is not really that comfortable. (all documentations are included as pdfs in the installation as well).

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/prod...?idCategory=20

Last edited by Skybird; 06-24-12 at 06:21 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote