View Single Post
Old 04-14-12, 12:29 AM   #12
SuperEtendard
Mate

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

There is a great article about the METOX in wikipedia, the beginnings, the research, the problems that came later... its very very well redacted and helps to understand all the context in wich it was developed..

The bad news is that its in spanish... but you can use google translator hahaha http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metox

i will quote a testimony from the capt of the U-230, it appears on the article, but i will make my best effort to translate it to you

Quote:
On August 3rd (1943) we recieved a message from the headquarters that caused the greatest impact in our lives since the start of the Allied offensive.

" AT ALL SUBMARINES. ATTENTION. AT ALL SUBMARINES. SUSPEND IMMEDIATELY ALL USE OF METOX. ENEMY CAPABLE OF INTERCEPT IT. MANTAIN RADIO SILENCE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE."

This warning reached the U-230 on time, but it was too late for many of the 100 submarines that had been sunk before this discovery. Suddenly we realized that, in our effort to survive, we had been using an equipment that showed our position so clearly like a full lighted christmas tree. For weeks and months we had been sending the invitations to our own funerals.
"Steel Coffins" U-230 Capt. Herbert Werner
SuperEtendard is offline   Reply With Quote