View Single Post
Old 12-12-19, 01:01 AM   #171
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post
Once a target has been destroyed, will there be any delay in engagement of subsequent targets? Most games seem to make subsequent target engagement cycles virtually instantaneous.
There will be a slight delay, the length of which depends on a few factors and how you've issued the orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post
Is an evasive manoeuvre by the target while the inbound SAM is still 70km distant a realistic tactic? I always thought that SAMs were more easily defeated if the target performed a sudden manoeuvre at a shorter distance so that the tiny fins on the SAM could not adjust quickly enough to follow the target. A distance of 70km would allow a SAM to follow the evasive manouevre and make corrections with relative ease. I do not know at what distance the 'sweet spot' might be, but it does not sound reasonable for it to be 70 kilometres.
I edited the punctuation and ordering to make the intent a bit more clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureSkies View Post
So although the range of the Grumble may only be listed as 75 km, a helicopter may not be safe from even 100 km, and a fast and maneuverable jet will probably be relatively safe at 70 km (if it responds appropriately).
Though maneuvering even at long range can have rather detrimental effects on the missiles' performance, since any maneuvers the missile makes will take energy/cause drag. But the most effective maneuvers will be the ones that maximize the maneuvering of the missile. With the S-300F in particular (what this has been tested with) the missile receives midcourse guidance updates from the launch ship even before it's acquired the target with its own semiactive seeker, meaning maneuvering even at long range will cause it to lose energy by maneuvering in response.

Last edited by AzureSkies; 12-12-19 at 01:11 AM.
AzureSkies is offline   Reply With Quote