View Single Post
Old 02-24-21, 10:42 AM   #10
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
That are politically defined objectives, no military ones, and that has always been the problem with that operation, from beginning on when the first Europeans unboarded there. For the Americans, it was about Osama, Al Kaida and all that.

A reminder: in the beginning, the Americans did not want the Europeans and rejected their offer to get involved. Not before their own task had kind of bogged down, they invited the Europeans into the swamp to share the mess.

Military objectives have always been according to the UN mandate to overthrow the militant Taliban government and prevent Afghanistan from ever again being a safe haven for weaponized terrorist/radical religious zealots.

I'm not sure about the U.S. declining Europe's assistance. The U.S. got the green light from the U.N. to overthrow the Taliban government in 2001. We started bombing shortly afterwards and I'm sure there were small recon elements in country to assist with that. A year or so later in 2003 under operation 'Enduring Freedom' both NATO and U.S. forces participated in the so called invasion and have been there ever since.

Since all European forces are under command of NATO and the U.S. maintains direct control of its own. I'm thinking the major contribution of Europeans invasion forces under NATO command were initially delayed until recon got things stabilized. Reduces chances of friendly fire at the initial stages of the invasion process .

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-24-21 at 11:13 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote