View Single Post
Old 07-19-17, 07:43 AM   #35
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi View Post
2. to gap: I would really like to implement the Models into the files. There is only one Question: Did the Mk7 Mod2 look different from the Mk7?
I don't have any information on the existence of a Mk7 Mod2, but there were a Mk9 Mod1 and a Mod2 if that's what you meant. IIRC, the Mk9 and the Mk9 Mod1 were almost identical, the only difference consisting in construction details. The Mk9 Mod2, on turn, differed in many ways from the two previous mods:

Depth charge Mk9 on the left, MK9 Mod2 on the right

Quote:
Sadly the Mk9 Mod2 is useless for the purpose of this mod, because the only advantage (that I have read about) was the deeper detonation depth...
But if the Mod2 had any implementable improvements I'm going to implement them.
I am going by memory, but I think the Mk9 and the Mk9 Mod2 had slightly different explosive charges/blast radii, and I am pretty sure their sinking rates differed quite a lot. Conversely, the Mk9 and the Mk9 Mod1 shared the same characteristics.

Detonation depths depended on detonators/fuzes fitted, and they can't be associated with any particular depth charge mark/mod, as they were interchangeable and new detonators were often retrofitted to older depth charge models. Information available on the web is often misleading on this point, but the US manuals that I pointed you to are quite clear on this respect.

Quote:
Also thanks to all the replys which show me that the work isn't useless and nobody cares about it!
Sure it isn't, quite the opposite. Depth charge's evolution, together with the improvement of detection technologies, was one of the key factors of WWII ASW. At the beginning of the war, DCs were more a deterrent than an actual threat, but by mid-late war, they had turned into deadly weapons. Unfortunately devs oversimplified these factors. Any mod addressing them, is of high interest
gap is offline   Reply With Quote