View Single Post
Old 10-03-21, 09:22 AM   #1
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Icon8 Rantings of an old man: Smoke detector brackets

I decided to replace all the smoke detectors in my house. They were 10 years old and the manufacturer suggests replacement.

I admit that I made an error in assuming that the mountings for smoke detectors was standardized across manufacturers. My bad.

I purchased some nice ones but found out that they were incompatible with the existing mounting brackets. I did not want to go through the hassle of having to change all the mountings. I returned these detectors.

So I researched the manufacturer and ordered the exact same model smoke detector that I already had. My intention was to keep the existing mountings and just change the detector.

It turned out that the mountings of the EXACT same model were almost identical... almost, but not quite. So in the end I had to do what I wanted to avoid in the first place -- having to remove the old brackets and install new brackets.

If I knew that I would have to change the brackets, I would have preferred using the first set of detectors as they had more features.

I kinda understand how each manufacturer has product specific brackets. But why would the EXACT same model have a mounting bracket that is almost the same (so that you think you can just reuse it) but when it comes time to secure it, find out that it is not compatible?

If a model is different, then it is not the same model and should have a different model number!

I examined both of the mounting brackets and I really could not find any differences but when doing the final assembly, it was just different enough not to work.

Why???

So I ended up paying more for a model with less features and still ended up having to remove and replace every mounting bracket.