View Single Post
Old 08-07-16, 02:30 PM   #41
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Too much history to let Slide:

http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/mare-island-transition-stirs-memories-for-napa-man/article_3d2f9c44-11e6-5eca-8d8d-5fcfb2b7abd1.html Where I sail frequently: The Napa River's a little calmer than the Bay! Five of the top scoring seven submarines of WWII were built at Mare Island <USS Wahoo SS 238-launched & off off Mare Island Where I've the privilege of sailing (key to enlarge to show bridges and Mare Island to my port side>-not the same Carquinez Bridge span (the one to the left of Wahoo is the 1927 span) replaced by the 1958 cantilever and then the 2003 Zampa's suspension bridge: I-80's horrific transit to the south Bay area. The bridge is named for Al Zampa, an iron worker who worked on the 1927 span and the Golden Gate Bridge He is most notable for being one of the first people to survive falling off the Golden Gate Bridge. He was a charter member of the Half Way to Hell Club, whose members are the men who fell from the Golden Gate Bridge and were saved by the nets. What a way to get a bridge named after U!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote