View Single Post
Old 08-10-23, 11:31 AM   #1005
flush deck
Mate

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 2

I guys

I've started the work on IJN 3D crew. There's two way to make IJN uniforms for SH4, each of them is not perfect, but can make the change at the end with a bit of work.

We can use the German 3D crew or the US one. The problem is to find a good way to reproduce the famous cut of the Japan uniform, that is really different from US and German ones, using the 3D base of the game that I can't change
(The Jeff-Groves way is really interesting, thanks for the track, but it's definitely beyond my skill in 3D and programming.. )

The German is interesting for the coat for exemple that go just before the knees and that could reproduce the Japan long shirt worn other the pant, but there's still the problem of the straight collar.. The version shirtless with tank top is also interesting for sub units, but there's the short, that is not used by Japan navy for what I know. Most of the problem is for the hat, no famous Japan cap, the German one doesn't have the good design to try to make a fake and the side cap is not used in Japan Navy.

The US one have no long coat that could make the famous officer shirt, just shirt in occidental style tucked into the pants which is not the IJN style. But the cap and navy hat are pretty good to make some fake of Japan cap (navy one) and navy hat for winter version. It's also a good 3D set to make the white working jumpsuit used in the Japan subs.

I will test the two versions, make a set on German 3D base and one on US one. I've tried without success to shuffle the two crews. I'm not sure that you can use German accessories on US crew and vice versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... and faces?? lol - that's the hard part. I can do Frankenstein's monsters rather easily...
That's for sure the hard part of the work.. I' don't have the Jeff-Groves skill to update the 3D base of the head, but I've used what I know the best, texture skill and optical illusion. Working on color skin of course, on the eyes textures and adding a sort of "4O's Japan mustache style" on the faces

So here the WIP on the US base. I followed the model that you could see in the first pict (top left pict). White working jumpsuit with cap and black shoes. White shirt for officers.

Stay tuned

Against the overwhelming odds
flush deck is offline   Reply With Quote