View Single Post
Old 10-09-19, 09:18 AM   #12561
Nobon
Helmsman

Location: 1939-09-13. U-50 ran into a 10+ ship british convoy- I'm planning the approach
Downloads: 74
Uploads: 2
wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
I play on laptop with 2GB Nvidia card as well, and have steady 25-30 fps exiting port, with only shadows and anti-aliasing turned down. So whatever it is, seems to be system-specific.

If you have laptop as well, have you checked if it's using dedicated video card and not integrated graphics? This is most common cause of surprisingly low fps in one game when others run normally.

Sadly, no- Since I started my 1.05 after 3 years a few days ago, with integrated by accident, and half the lighting caused some cement-like visuals, and horrid FPS, I made sure SH5.exe is always used with the high-end nvidia chip.
It would be very noticeable, as the integrated one cannot handle half the effects. 1.05 were flying after that.

Also: while it is not around 60 like with 1.05 a few days ago, fps on patrol in grid AN55 with 2.2.16 is around 40-45fps and it was kinda stable fps even during fighting. A bit of pauses sometimes when looking around in the comand room, but this is SH.. So 45 compared to 8 fps XD is a huge difference between open sea battles, and a peaceful port... Same patch, same day, same gamestart. Nothing left open in the background.

So it seems that it DOES have something to do with ports / crowded places.

Ow... I've just seen some old post by me asking about switching off the increased rendering distance to go back to 20km from 40.
Maybe I did, and that's how I achieved high fps in 1.05.

A question: If I understand right, after getting rid of 40km distance, only my sonarman would not hear above 20km, but someone written 3 years ago, that I myself can still hear them around 40. Sounds.. Weird, but I would love if it would be true.

Still, 4 fps in ports and 10 fps WELL after getting some distance are a no-go. Any ideas? I believe something graphically challenging were added, or a lot more units spawn in ports compared to 1.05, but this is just a hunch.

BUT! The Good News: I went through the canal, (sometimes with 1-2 fps at the start on 64x TC, but got to almost 20 in the middle) alt-tabbed sometimes to brute-force test the stability XD (though only after opening the main menu hence pausing the game, not with active game) went to grid AN55, a lot of times with 1024x tc, listened to gramophone with my own sound files, saved and reloaded shedload of times even during attacks, not caring about anything, trying to ruin the game- spent more than 8 ..real life... hours ingame, with one start, and then exited WITHOUT ANY CTD AT ALL during that time.....

In 1.05 on update 17, when it was kinda stable compared to previous versions, I had ctd once per hour regurarily, or per around 40 mins when there were many units present.
SO 2.2.16 gentlemen... are... Seems to be stable as an oak. Congratulations!

and the only odd thing I realized that I received a yellow radio MSG to investigate a spot, where is something heading to 314, but the coordinates was -exactly- where I sank my last merchant many hours ago. Had to go back, regurarily went underwater to check the hydrophone, etc, spent an hour trying to catch anything, but only had luck to find 2 wandering destroyers.

Anyone knows how this "investigate this and that" mechanic works? Why is it sent me back to my last sank prey? Also this was the first msg to investigate anything, I found that prey in normal patrol sweep, and was an isignificant, lonely small merchant, only torpedoed her as when earlier I started to use the deck gun on her, 2 destroyers came... XD

P.S.:
I still remember faintly that we used to modify some config files to adjust the ram, maybe video ram, and maybe CPU threads(?) the game using...?
Anyone? XD

87% realism (100%-Cams to watch burning targets, and torpedoes run for fun..)
SH5 The Wolves of Steel Megamod- Realnav+Full manual targeting. -no contact updates, no map help.
U-50 forever - still a Smiling bastard

Last edited by Nobon; 10-09-19 at 09:30 AM.
Nobon is offline   Reply With Quote