Old 08-04-20, 10:52 AM   #10000
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
But i understand it much better now:
"How the Right Wing Convinces Itself That Liberals Are Evil.

Since the 1950s, the conservative movement has justified bad behavior—including supporting Donald Trump—by persuading itself that the left is worse."

How the Right Wing Convinces Itself That Liberals Are Evil

Good article b.t.w.
For your reading pleasure.

The Woke Left v. the Alt-Right: A New Study Shows They’re More Alike Than Either Side Realizes

https://quillette.com/2020/08/03/the...side-realizes/

What goes around comes around.

Quote:
In 1996, Republican presidential candidate Bob Dole called out Time Warner for publishing hip hop music whose lyrics glamorized violence against police officers. (“I would like to ask the executives of Time Warner a question: Is this what you intended to accomplish with your careers? You have sold your souls, but must you debase our nation and threaten our children as well?”) A quarter-century later, it’s progressives demanding the cancelation of movies and TV shows that present the police in any kind of positive light (and numerous other “problematic” themes). Alyssa Rosenberg of the Washington Post, a former colleague of mine, wants us to “shut down all police movies and TV shows.
I guess authoritarians know no real political allegiance.

Quote:
It’s the same puritanical spirit that prevailed during the heyday of the Moral Majority, except that it’s been marshalled in service of a different faith. And you can hardly blame disaffected progressives, such as Rolling Stone’s Matt Taibbi, for declaring that the “left is now the right” when it comes to smothering cultural and intellectual pluralism.
Quote:
Whereas the dominant strain of cultural leftism once was primarily characterized by a spirit of compassion, it increasingly has come to be dominated by intolerant scolds who seem more eager to shame heretics than to do actual good in the world. Studies like this one should serve as a wake-up call: Given the strident manner with which progressives denounce bigotry, it surely should trouble them to know that, where underlying personalities are concerned, priests and heretics look very much alike.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke