View Single Post
Old 07-14-19, 11:56 AM   #8
Fidgety
Mate

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Huh!? Never seen anything about patrol grids, I usually just cruise up and down the coast. I'm gonna load up and check this out right away.

If I remember rightly, the button is called player guidance, think its second on the right. I think the grid location should be written in the captains log also. I usually get them through radio messages.

You just said you usually just cruise up and down, you need to take advantage of the hydrophones range for detecting ships. This will be your problem, not the area you are patroling.

I will tell you this aswell, for some reason the hydrophone operator can miss sound signatures some times. I am in the habit of checking the hydrophone myself when I can be bothered. I can sometimes faintly hear a ship and the hrophone operator just sits there not reporting anything. After heading towards the sound contact and submerging 15ms later at full spead, the hydrophone operator then jumps into action as normal. Seems like the watchmen can out perform the captains old eyes, but the captains old ears beat the young hydrophone operators ears.

On my last run to the british east coast, I sunk one medium sized merchant randomly on the way north of amsterdamn, I found this merchant from the hydrophen and it was massively out of sight range. Not long after this, I was given a radio contact report for a small enemy convoy heading south east. This was 3 small merchants heading to a port real close by. I sunk 2 with torps and missed the 3rd, which I sank with deck gun as it was zig zaging.
As you can see I actually got to the patrol area with 4 torps missing.

HYDROPHONE and pay attention for radio CONTACT REPORTS

When you start doing this correctly, you will next get fed up of the amount of neutral ships you will run into. Last night I intercepted 4 neutral ships before my 5th before ending the session was an actual enemy. (This was off the east coast same as you)
Fidgety is offline   Reply With Quote