View Single Post
Old 07-06-19, 02:14 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon9 HEY BBY! WHAT'S SHAKIN'

I WAS A PRINCIPLE APPRAISER IN THE SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS WHEN THIS BIG ONE HIT-WRECKING MY APARTMENT....
Quote:
The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake occurred in Northern California on October 17 at 5:04 p.m. local time (1989-10-18 00:04 UTC). The shock was centered in The Forest of Nisene Marks State Park approximately 10 mi (16 km) northeast of Santa Cruz on a section of the San Andreas Fault System and was named for the nearby Loma Prieta Peak in the Santa Cruz Mountains. With an Mw magnitude of 6.9 and a maximum Modified Mercalli intensity of IX (Violent), the shock was responsible for 63 deaths and 3,757 injuries. The Loma Prieta segment of the San Andreas Fault System had been relatively inactive since the 1906 San Francisco earthquake (to the degree that it was designated a seismic gap) until two moderate foreshocks occurred in June 1988 and again in August 1989.
Damage was heavy in Santa Cruz County and less so to the south in Monterey County, but effects extended well to the north into the San Francisco Bay Area, both on the San Francisco Peninsula and across the bay in Oakland. No surface faulting occurred, though a large number of other ground failures and landslides were present, especially in the Summit area of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Liquefaction was also a significant issue, especially in the heavily damaged Marina District of San Francisco, but its effects were also seen in the East Bay, and near the shore of Monterey Bay, where a non-destructive tsunami was also observed.
Because it happened during a national live broadcast of the 1989 World Series, it is sometimes referred to as the "World Series earthquake".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Loma_Prieta_earthquake
MY APPRAISAL FILES WERE USED BY FEMA TO HELPS PEOPLE DEVASTATED AS I HAD THE ONLY PHOTOS OF THE HOMES PREVIOUS TO THEIR DESTRUCTION. SINCE MOVING TO NAPA, I'VE BEEN IN TWO EARTHQUAKES ONE OF WHICH DESTROYED MY CHIMNEY IN 2000 AND A WHOLE LOTTA CHINA DISHES AND SHEETROCK WALLS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Yountville_earthquake , EPICENTERED 500 YARDS NW FROM MY HOME IN THE PREVIOUSLY UNDETECTED 'WEST NAPA FAULT'...NOW WE HAVE QUAKE LATCHES ON ALL CABINETS AN KEEP THE GOOD STUFF LOW TO THE FLOOR. THE BBQ IS ALWAYS READY AS THE NEIGHBORS ALL WANT COFFEE FIRST THING BEFORE ROLLING UP SLEEVES TO RESTORE NORMALCY. THE MOST RECENT ONE: 2014; WAS 10 MILES SOUTH AND DEEP ALONG THE SAME NAPA FAULT AND REALLY CAUSED DAMAGE:
Quote:
Total damage in the southern Napa Valley and Vallejo areas was in the range of $362 million to 1 billion, with one person killed and 200 injured. Other aspects of the event included an experimental earthquake warning system that alerted seismologists several seconds before the damaging shear waves arrived, temporary changes in springs and wells, and the potential for postseismicfault creep.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_South_Napa_earthquake
THROW IN A COUPLE OF MAJOR FIRE STORMS ...THIS IS STILL THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH TO LIVE BBY! I REGARD THE LITTLE QUAKES AND AFTER-SHOCKS AS POSSIBLY A GOOD THING AS IT MIGHT ALLEVIATE STRESS ALONG THE TECTONIC PLATES ALONG THE MAJOR SAN ANDREAS FAULT WHICH IS EXPECTED TO CAUSE 'THE BIG ONE'! THAT SAID, THERE ARE EXPERTS WHO DISAGREE WITH MY POSITIVE THINKING
Quote:
They noted that the new observation is significant because it uncovers a new type of fault motion and earthquake-triggering mechanism, which is not accounted for in current models of earthquake hazards used for California.
As Shirzaei explained:
Based on our observations, we believe that seismic hazard in California is something that varies over time and is probably higher than what people have thought up to now.
He added that accurate estimates of this varying hazard are essential to include in operational earthquake-forecasting Bottom line: New research from Arizona State University shows that movements along the central section of the San Andreas fault haven’t been smooth and steady, as previously thought. It also shows that episodic slow earthquakes along the central San Andreas don’t relieve stress; instead, they cause stress, which may trigger large, destructive earthquakes.
FOOTNOTE TO HISTORY: THE ELECTED ASSESSOR-OF-THE-COUNTY HAD PREVIOUSLY TOLD ME I WAS OVER-QUALIFIED TO BE AN ASSISTANT ASSESSOR WHEN I HAD JUST MOVED TO NAPA. BUT AFTER THE THE 2000 QUAKE, AND STILL COVERED IN DUST-IN T-SHIRT, SANDALS AND CUTOFFS, I STROLLED INTO THE HASTILY ESTABLISHED FEMA OFFICE AND ENCOUNTERD THE ASSESSOR... STANDING SOMEWHAT IN AWE OF THE SAME FEMA PEOPLE, OUT OF WASHINTON D.C., THAT I'D DEALT WITH IN BORROWING MY FILES FOR QUAKES AND MAJOR FIRES OVER 15 YEARS. IN (MY) REFLECTING ALOUD THAT 'WE HAD A LOT OF ELDERLY AND NON-ENGLISH SPEAKERS WHO DIDN'T KNOW THEIR DAMAGES' THE HEAD FEMA HONCHO IMMEDIATELY RESPONDED ''I THINK YOU'RE RIGHT WE'LL STAY HERE A YEAR"...THE ASSESSOR LOOKED AT ME IN PLEASANT SHOCK...BUT I HAD SOLVED HIS IMMEDIATE PROBLEM! SOME YEARS LATER, HE CAUGHT UP WITH ME ON A SECURITY ASSIGNMENT AND STATED THERE WAS AN ON-CALL ASSESSOR POSITION ON CRAIGS LIST....WOULD I PLEASE FILL OUT THE APPLICATION....I DECLINED!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-07-19 at 09:56 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote