View Single Post
Old 04-28-20, 11:46 AM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Thanks, I wanted to do something special for that post. The next one will be post # 698 if I can find the right photo and get it to scan. It was a portrait photo that General Dynamics arranged of the Bremerton in dry dock, just after they finished repainting the hull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
If I could even find an old ECM/ECCM receiver in a Army/Navy surplus store would it be illegal to hook it up to the proper antenna?

Those parts don't wind up in Army/Navy stores. Most of my old gear was "claimed" by the USS Blueback as spare parts. If they didn't get used or could be re-used by the Navy as repair parts, they would be scrapped. You'd also have to find a good 400 Hz generator to supply the power.

If you want to hear what I used to listen to, watch CSPAN or dig up some of their long interviews on Youtube. CSPAN's DC studio is really close to a radar transmitter and there was a lot of "bleed through" on the shows they broadcast from DC. Listen close and you'll hear something that almost sounds like someone transmitting Morse code- its a complex radar signal, either a complex conical scan or a "boogie beat" raster scan.

BTW, that photo wasn't my last day on the Barbel. A couple of years later, "A Div" on the Bremerton found out that the diesels on the Barbel had chromed engine covers and poppet valves, which I had forgotten about. Since the Senior Chief in A-Gang just had our diesel repainted in eight coats of Guard's Red lacquer, an expedition became justified.

"Geez, Al, I dunno. Those covers are pretty groady, are you sure they'll fit?"
"Are you kidding? I already have a case of polishing compound on order. That's old chrome, they put that stuff on thick."

It was like Christmas morning for the A-gangers.

The other items of interest were the Barbel's diving alarms, five of the old school klaxons. Two of them wound up on the Bremerton in Control and Maneuvering and one made it to the Chief's Club on SUBASE.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote