Old 02-03-21, 12:20 PM   #61
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10
gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor_Prien View Post
This evening while working on other stuffs I've also made some initial tests about if is possible to have pennants in game ( Note that the one in the image it's just a basic one used only for the tests and that I've blurred the swastika in the image for forum purposes; In game it will be visible as per normal ).
Well the reply is, definitively yes! ( I will later make the various 3D stuffs needed to have the victory pennants located in the correct position/attached to the right place ).
In addition I have also made some tests about the semi-automation of the flags/pennants ( Flags/Pennants on/off depending on user choice ) and also this seems to be fully feasible ( It will require just a bit of " Magic Mod Powder " and time )
As far as I know, the only documented usage of pennants aboard U-boats was relative to the victory pennants. Apparently, flying them from the flagstaff was rather uncommon. In most cases they were hoisted on a line hanging from the top of the fully extended attack periscope; check the following document for more on this subject:

https://amp.rokket.biz/docs/victory_pennants.pdf

In game, the above could be simulated by adding a new bone to the top of the attack periscope. A simple 3D line should be linked to this new bone either via eqp file or merge controller. The line, on turn, should have several equipment bones bound to it at regular space intervals, so to enable the linking of the appropriate pennants to the lanyard the same way as U-boat flags are linked to the flagstaff.

If memory serves, there is a controller which can switch on/off the rendering of objects depending on their height on the sea level. If set appropriately, that controller would make the line together with its child objects (the pennants) only visible when the U-boat is surfaced and the attack periscope is fully extended. Some fine-tuning might be needed here as the pennants might be popping in and out in stormy weather, but that should not be a big issue either as we would only hoist our pennants in the immediate proximity of land, where waves are never too high.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote