View Single Post
Old 02-22-21, 12:14 PM   #14
IWantedEnigma
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Thought I should put in my two cents in case anyone was having issues even just installing the game from the (generously provided) ISO from this forum.

I'd run into an issue on Windows 10 (64 bit, running on a Lenovo Thinkpad) whereby the setup exe wouldn't do anything after being launched, or even give an indicator that it was running.
Going into task manager, I could see a program running (32-bit installer or something of that ilk) - right clicking and choosing 'go to details' brought up the list of processes themselves. Right-clicking on the highlighted process, and clicking 'Analyse Wait Chain' brought up a menu that showed what processes the setup file was waiting for in order to run.
In my case, it was Lenovo's built-in power management software (PowerMgr.exe) that was stopping the installer from initiating; ending that process allowed the installer to work. (Obviously, not all processes are safe to end in this way; google it if you're unsure)

Then it was just a case of using the dgVoodoo wrapper someone helpfully linked to in the comments of the download itself (which I link also, here) and putting the contents into the Enigma folder after it was installed, and it seems to run fine.

Current issues:
-no widescreen; this is a 'would like' rather than must-have, but it would be nice to have a wider field of view. Also, the interface itself is a bit on the small side on a modern resolution.
-buggy scenarios? I've not played enough to detect a pattern yet, but I've noticed in the training scenario ('Getting your feet wet') at least, that the enemies that are meant to be at certain waypoints during the mission.. aren't. The submarine at waypoint 2, for example, is a few miles away; the bombers that I assume are scripted to appear when you reach waypoint 3, spawn at the very start of the mission and will haze you relentlessly.
This could just be a quirk of the game itself, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's something about the unlocked framerate or OS which might cause issues.

Other than that, though, good game.
IWantedEnigma is offline   Reply With Quote