View Single Post
Old 08-07-19, 02:07 AM   #47
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post
Sounds very promising. I was also wondering if severe sea states might actually inhibit missile engagements due to the sea-skimmers hitting high waves.
A solid possibility. Presumably a real missile would be using radar to determine height and attempting to avoid hitting the water. I'll see if there's something computationally efficient I can do with the code to simulate this, because there may be...

My bet is that it won't be able to function reliably above Sea State 7 or so. Being all-weather capable is an advertised feature of the newest Harpoon missiles, implying old versions had a max sea state. These would be Block Is, Block IBs and Block ICs, a far cry from the modern block IIER+.

Also happen to know from old research on the Juliet that it couldn't fire its missiles above Sea State 6. Technically that's very different, but broadly it shows how even 70's and 80's navies could be rather severely limited by weather with their missiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post
Good to see the effect of sea state on speed. I urge some restraint on the number of calculations or updates. For example, if there is constant fluctuation in the sea state indicator due to constant revision of the final digit, then it can be more of a distraction than a help. i.e. if the state is 6.27 and the '.7' is forever an amorphous blur as it constantly goes up and down, then the precision really isn't helping the game. Is it really necessary to know sea state to that 100th level of precision?
Oh, the sea state indicator shown was just for that demonstration video. Real UI for that will be very different.
AzureSkies is offline   Reply With Quote