Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum View Post
How much did we raise?
I'm not asking for numbers, but...

Enough to cover the cost of hosting this post for a day or two?
Enough to buy Neal a pint?
Enough to keep SS going for a month? 6 months? a year?
Enough to keep SS going for a while plus a bit extra?
Enough to commission the building of a new VIIC?
Enough for a pint and a few lightbulbs for the conning tower of a VIIC, and Subsim's continued survival. A lot of great people stepped up and delivered, but I sure won't get rich running a sub game website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsa View Post
Any thoughts on a long term solution ?

What does everyone think ? Come on you marketing gurus out there.

It may seem like a site that just started quietly in 1996 but Subsim is a brand - any ways that can make a permanent income ?
I've given a lot of thought to this over the years. Naturally, I favor the methods that cost the members here zero dollars--that is the Google ad and commissions through sales of books and games through Amazon. Unfortunately, a lot of people block the one Google ad I have here, so that's null. And while some people make a point to start their Amazon shopping throught the Subsim store, it's pretty easy to forget (and I don't wanna shill constantly).

The other big revenue streams in the past are Subsim Battle Gear and donation mods, like Pacific Aces and the week long exclusive GWX3 donation download (ah, those were the days). Fred has throughtfully offered to let me use some of his radio mods as a second DVD with the Subsim Super DVD mods collection, so after the first of the year, we will try that. And I make a little money off the Subsim Almanacs, but you cannot imagine how much time and work one of those babies entails

Other than that, I hope the members who enjoy the website will put up with an annual fundraiser. There's no membership fee, it is 100% voluntary. You give what you want, when you can. And if someone wants to chip in throughout the year, the Make a Donation button is right under one's name and PM notification in the top right corner of this page.