View Single Post
Old 05-11-21, 12:27 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstanko6
I believe for the biscay cross radar detector? I believe.
Nope!
Quote:
This rudimentary antenna, known as the Biscay Cross consisted of two pieces of wood tied together into a cross, with wires wrapped around where it had to be carried through the hatch every time the boat surfaced or dived. It was installed into a bracket on the conning tower and periodically the position had to be rotated by hand. The operator would constantly tune in across the frequency band and the device generated an audible warning which was broadcasted on the boat’s loudspeakers when signals were detected in the coverage band. Metox however could not differentiate between radar and non-radar signals, neither could it provide the bearing of the source of transmission.
. the later wanze and naxos radar detection circular mesh antennas on retractable watertight rotating poles, controlled by the radio room, look to fit that port conning tower aperture, which on later uboats, was/ became a large narrow rectangle to accommodate a large rectagular retractable radar screen. Neither of the radar detectors gave ample warning in any case. I'm still trying to find decent pic and any literature on the topic...sucks too! Here's the only one aboard U-952 port con tower>
The 'Bali' FuMb 5 carried aboard U-505 was
omnidirectional and fixed to the portside con>
as opposed to the standard U-boat radio direction finder(ring) retracted in it's customary starboard aperture And this shot of a captured Uboat and several advanced radar detectors (with radio direction raised & Naxos to the left) is a reflection of the German continual dissatisfaction with radar detection which basically was poor against 10 centimeter equipped B-24 Liberator!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-11-21 at 11:50 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote