View Single Post
Old 09-28-22, 08:11 AM   #20
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Ready lamps, 5 of the them, two rows: are they lit when it is safe to dive?
Correct, they are lit when ready/safe. In the case of the hull valve section, they light up when the electric sensors on the respective hull valve wheels detect that they are shut. In the case of the dive ready lamp section, they light up when the heads of the individual compartments flip the switch in those compartments that their compartment is ready for dive.

Quote:
Starting the diesels, they could start them with the e-motors, was that the normal method or was it more routine to start with air?
It was normal to use the e-motors to start when traveling in diesel-electric mode, which was used for much of the patrol. This is traveling on one diesel used for propulsion, that diesel turning its prop and also the motor on that side as a generator to generate power for the other side’s e-motor, which is turning the other side’s prop. Since they would have the other side’s motor running in this configuration anyway, to save on compressed air, they would simply start the other diesel with that E motor when they switched out the diesels every four hours or so in order to grind the exhaust valve seats.

Quote:
Oh, and you said there should be 3 hydraulic resevoirs next to the attack scope well,

is that 3 with a non-snorkel boar?
Or 3 with with snorkel or non-snorkel?

I thought the 3rd reservoir was for a snork-boat, the non-snork boats had 2, 1 for each scope...?
Based on what I have seen in early type VIIC design documents, it was always three. For instance here is part of a schematic from the Bootskunde für VIIC from 1940:

Same for the U-570 Skizzenbuch diagram for hydraulic system (earlier-war VIIC):

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote