View Single Post
Old 02-13-22, 10:20 AM   #35
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I still have this dream about a massive Board Game played by correspondence by many of us here on SubSim.

What type of game it should be I don't know-maybe a air-sea-landbattle game.
I do not know either how it would be done.

Could think that we find a board game and those of us who want to take part buy this game.

Markus
I do not know this game system, only heard of it. The series is famous, and long-lasting since the late 80s.

2-6 players:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1499/world-flames

Computer version (for the interface only, it has no AI, AFAIK)
https://www.matrixgames.com/game/world-in-flames

Quote:
This title does not include an AI player in the initial release. It is designed as a computerized, automated and online multiplayer-capable World in Flames, including an integrated multiplayer forum and an official multiplayer server for easy player matching and networking
The world map accurately depicts terrain at 90 kilometers per hex showing all major rivers, coastlines, island chains, and mountain ranges
Thousands of units with quantified historical capabilities from hundreds of different countries
Detailed simulation of the interactions between land, sea, and air forces on a global scale
8 major powers: Germany, Italy, Japan, China, Commonwealth, France, USA, USSR
250+ countries. 70,200 hexes (195 hex rows high by 360 hex columns around)
12 terrain types: Clear, Forest, Swamp, Jungle, Mountain, Desert, Desert-mountain, Ice, Lake, Sea, Qattara Depression, and Tundra
4000+ named locations on the map
5000+ unique bitmapped hexes for coastal terrain
7000+ unique bitmapped hexes for rivers
70 unit types
Detailed unique bitmapped images for 1200 air units and 1000 capital ships. Convoy pipelines, overseas supply lines, and historically accurate rail lines worldwide
If "major powers" translates into number of players, its for up to 8 players then.

Myself, I do not have the space in my flat for such monumental projects that block space for days, weeks, if not months (and if I had, i would rehab squirrels...). Also, WWII is not that much my interest. The map for the tabletop version covered a whole wall.