View Single Post
Old 07-27-15, 11:59 AM   #4920
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

U-802 spent 2 months on patrol and returned to base in Nov. of 1942. Half the boat was in shambles and some of the crew had been killed, one man badly injured, would later recover. 59,000 tons in the locker. One torpedo in tube 6 left. Our incursion to Key West resulted in 2 destroyers (clemson class) and one small tanker (4260 tons) on the bottom. One DD was patrolling and one was at anchor. The one on patrol took two eels before sinking. Just as well, because by this point, it was the last week of September and we had pretty much just about as much as we wanted from the tropics. I wanted to shoot off as much as I could so I could return to Lorient, feeling like something was accomplished. U-802 will spend 30 days in dry dock, being refitted and repaired (damage was significant). The Captain was promoted to Oberleutnant z. S. and the Leitender Ing. was awarded the 'knight's cross of the iron cross'. for his valorous duties while on patrol -too numerous to mention, the man really deserves that medal.
U-802 is standing by for patrol orders, probably for the start of December.