Old 03-09-19, 05:10 AM   #14
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Icon2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureSkies View Post
3. To be able to switch from a more arcadey playstyle that happens on short time scales, to one that might take a lot longer. It serves a similar purpose to time compression.
It is true that the 1:1 (Real Time) makes games appear to be more twitch-like, but it should be remembered that, in real life, there would be many different competent individuals in command of the various positions and units. Instead, we have a game where nearly every command must be given by the player. To allow him the ability to pause or slow down so that he can issue orders to many different units (which would operate autonomously in real life), is not unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureSkies View Post
4. Currently looking at going on the slowest requested speed, but open to community suggestions.
As far as I know, going on the slowest requested speed is common for most Real Time Simulation games. Of course, there are limitations. In my many Harpoon ANW MP sessions, I encountered some of them. One such situation was the various play styles.

I met one opponent who insisted on playing only at 1:1 or 1:5 second time compression and would throw a fit if anyone asked him to play faster because he felt rushed. So, he kept the game at a max 1:5 ratio. The problem was, we were playing scenarios with 5 day duration. Also, folks would get distracted or bored and wander away to attend to other matters. When combat finally occurred, they often were away from the keyboard and out of control of their units. In the end, the player who most often won was the fellow who played at the slowest rate because everyone had to leave after an hour or got bored and quit.

I am not certain there will ever be a 'solution' for this situation. I think it may just be a fact of life that some opponents should never play some other opponents. I am not critical of his style/tempo of play, but most everyone, myself included, just stopped playing against him. I just did not find the sessions fun or enjoyable. I am just as certain that other ANW players did not enjoy me slowing down the game to issue orders or attend to other minutiae.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is online   Reply With Quote