View Single Post
Old 11-24-16, 07:02 AM   #2725
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That should get me into the neighborhood pretty closely, and if not, can't be more than a short walk from there... anyway, you didn't happen to use external camera and actually see which DD came and got you by chance? It was ~really~ difficult for me to use it when I first started on this, and I also went to automatic targeting, just to speed things along. I think I'm spoiled now by all that... How did you ID it as a "Task Force"? visual, radar? The first one got you... like maybe his 2nd pass then?...
The Task Force spawned on the navmap and I was right in its path, it was virtually pitch black by the time it came into periscope view, after torpedoing the carrier it was a case of go deep and try and avoid those pesky DDs.
I went to external view when I saw three sonar lines decreasing the distance to my boat as though they'd got rocket engines in them, (they were probably only doing about 30 knots) they knew exactly where to look as well even though I'd turned 90 starboard and was about 3 or 4 hundred yards from my firing point.
I've no idea what type they were, 1 DD is as dangerous as another me thinks, the damned things knew exactly what they were doing, they were coming in to attack from 3 different directions and they were pinging away like madmen just to let me know that it was Goodnight Vienna time.
I've not seen that type of behaviour from the DDs before, it was probably my bad luck for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.