View Single Post
Old 07-04-19, 06:55 PM   #16
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164
Uploads: 0

If you haven't seen it Neal & Dev's I've made a post in the Wolfpack forum that shows the video and two screenshots of the problem.

td;lr

The torpedo is hitting about 60m aft of the aiming point, on short targets this means it will pass behind them when you shoot with the periscope at midships on the target.

Larger targets it will clip the rudder / stern.

This is due to the excessive run before turn that in my example resulted in the torpedo running so far ahead of my ship, that it had to do a 130 degree turn and CHASE the target, despite my firing it when the target ship was at my 060 bearing.

I've been led to believe that the historical figure for the run before gyro turn was SIGNIFICANTLY shorter, and even shorter than you had previously coded (a mere 10m or so) although it's turn radius was much larger than the 45m you have right now.

Either way, the extreme run before turn has broken several historical shooting methods, and this combined with the fact that:

a) The devs didn't put this out on the BETA branch, thus allowing us to 'roll back' to a known better version of 0.17c, and

b) The devs being away and probably not able to address this for at least a month, means that unless you're shooting at close to zero gyro angles, then this is unplayable unless you 'guesstimate' how much lead you need to add to the periscope before you fire.

I also have a video showing me engaging a target at 2600m and again, firing at midships, and the torpedo JUST clipped the rudder, despite having everything set exactly correct (due to using training solution on to verify).

This again proves that even long shots at around 45 gryo angle incur this parallax problem.

Hope this info helps and we can get this resolved as quickly as possible when the devs return, whenever that will be.

But really, they shouldn't push the update to mainline right away - it should have gone to BETA for a week or two's testing first.
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote