View Single Post
Old 08-18-16, 12:09 AM   #17
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Well, I just uploaded some pics for all you tank and cell geeks.
(I hope imgur doesn't screw up the quality, each scan is about 8Mb in size)
Nice, thanks! Someone told me all I needed to do was ask for help in this forum and there were people who would come forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Yes, that does help. So,it really does look like there are a series of tanks inside the "saddle tanks" blister. Wow, and that makes sense, you would not want one long tank fore and aft, any air in the tank for cause a surging effect, just like the tanker trucks I used to drive in another life. I'm still a little surprised they are not connected in some way, I guess being separate means its really important that they always fill and empty at the same rate, or the boat would take on a list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Just a thought . Playing multiplayer single missions for 1 to 2 hours .
Is this turning into Neals Trimming Tanks simulator ?
You know me...here's the Wolfpack Training section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
The levers at the top of the control room, are for a fast opening of the upper tank valves = rapid flooding. No time to turn a wheel, just pull those levers and tear open the upper flooding valves for a crash dive.

The VIIC boats had 5 ballast tanks. They were located inside and outside of the pressure hull. The tanks located in the saddles have two parts: port and starboard! The yare therefore doubly listed in the table below.

According to the plan...... could only be blown out by air pressure. The bilge and auxiliary pumps were installed to empty the bilge and for trimming, not for emptying ballast tanks. Air pressure in the bottles were replenished by the Junkers compressor.

Ah whatever
Outstanding, put into terms I can understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldpost View Post
What i red; were the negative-tanks (Untertriebszelle? - about 2x2m˛) an aid to get the boat in stronger sea under the water line (assist to flood the main-cells especially in heavy waves from stern). I am sure there were also used for alarm-diving, but they have to been blown-free with compressed air as soon the destination depth was reached... (Source: "Unterseebootbau" page 26)
Yes, the procedure I found on uboatarchive specifically instructs the Chief to blow the negative almost immediately after the boat takes a "noticeable descending tendency" and passes periscope depth. This means that failure to operate efficiently could cause the boat to descend to rapidly and pass the maximum safe depth. I've read many accounts of this happening on boat where the Chief was unskilled, or there was a problem with the boat. It gives our game a tremendous opportunity to add realistic, skill-based gameplay to keep things interesting.

Quote:
Wolfpack Crash Dive procedure, Step #15: Chief closes vent valves for negative tank and blows tanks to control dive before desired depth is reached. After execution of the order "Flood" and the boat has a noticeable descending tendency, the negative buoyancy tanks are expressed (blown by compressed air), by the Chief, who will call out, “Express”. It is critical that the Chief perform the crash dive operation competently, otherwise the boat could dive out of control, below safe depth, or with a dangerous down angle.
Thanks everyone, good stuff, and always glad to have the community involved.