View Single Post
Old 02-18-21, 11:25 AM   #2
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

This is the first Combat Mission title I have been excited about since Red Thunder, and no need to say how long ago that was.

It appeals to me because it features such well-matched adversaries in a conflict that never flared up. And it focuses on forces that are asymmetric in a number of ways. Nothing like Shock Force of course, but asymmetrical combat is highly appealing for me. Different doctrines clashing.

And because the cold war did not go hot, this game will be free of the constraints of history. It's not tethered to historical battles and outcomes, and instead is all what-if. I've often said that as a student of this history I prefer what-if generators. I know what happened in real life, I'd prefer in some ways to war-game out other situations and scenarios. The historical Combat Mission titles have avoided this to a large degree, and understandably so. But Cold War has such massive latitude for campaign and scenario design as a result. This is exciting and I cannot wait to see how it shakes out.

(This is a re-post of one I made on the Battlefront boards, but I still feel the same )