View Single Post
Old 12-01-19, 08:12 PM   #2
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Heres what i can offer you.

15 minutes makes for good reading, but the only universal constant i am aware of in our realm of existence is the speed of light, everything else is dynamic and has an element of randomness.

The ocean is a dynamic thing, perhaps the most dynamic thing on our planet besides the weather. with varying layers, currents, tempartures, varying ambient noise etc. These are all very difficult to program into a video game or even a simulation. they also ALL have an impact on how difficult, or easy it is for an attacker to detect a submaring by passive or active sonar acquisition.

there are too many variabls to commit to a hard 15 minutes. under controlled, clinical conditions in which the US Navy and other navies study the phenomenon it might be 15 minutes. But the observed 15 minutes might have been at X water temperature, X power of explosives, X number of explosives, X depth of explosives, X ambient decibles of the local environment etc etc. Under those controlled, clinical constraints, 15 minutes might be reasonable or even average.

change one variable, and the minutes arguably should also change.

does the latest version of U-boat simulate deafening of sonar due to deph charge explosions? yes. it does.

is it 15 minutes? i havnt timed it. i suspect not, however it is directly proportional to the number of depth charges dropped. the sonar signature of the region is distorted rendering you almost undetetctable for a period of time. if 5 charges are dropped it might render you "invisible" for 4 or 5 minutes. the more charges they drop, the longer the sonar signature in the area is distorted.

for my money, as someone who has been playing sub sims since the Atari 2600 was a big deal, U-boat, in its current iteration, provides the most realistic hunt and evasion available - period.

it is my observation (today) that in the vicinity of other ships or ports or aircraft, time compression automatically drops to 1:1 ratio.

this appears to be triggered by the "we are close" notification. depth charges falling, torpedoes speeding across the sea, ships crawling across the periscope view... these are all 100% real time 1:1

outside of these areas, the ratio is much higher, like 7:1 (i dont know the exact figure)

if you ask me, the entire game needs to be 1:1 with the exception of time compression as selected by the player