View Single Post
Old 04-23-19, 05:47 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesemaschine View Post
As a salty subsim skipper, I’m loving this darn game!

I would love to see repairs in this game though.

Maybe like the flashlight, we could have a hammer item to equip. When under depth charge attack and a pipe bursts, the crew has to rush and beat away at the damaged part until it’s “repaired” until the compartment is slowly flooded, or maybe a crew member has to run and grab a piece of wood to plug the hole.

Are these features planned? Also, will ee be able to see compartments slowly filling with water? Maybe closing the hatches on compartments to stop flooding?
We discussed repairs and there was the thought that it was really not interesting, or that like other games, it would amount to "clicking a wrench". But, it was also bounced around as a way to keep a crew member busy and distracted, thus adding stress to the crew because that crew member would not be available for routine activities, like navigating or handling the dive/helm station. The stress would be amplified when the boat was under attack and one or two crew members had to be pulled away from their stations to effect repairs needed to keep the bilge level under control and not sinking the boat.

I like your idea and think maybe it could fit into the game later when the critical elements are finished. Maybe the repair could be a minigame style thing, like a 2D puzzle...something that would require skill and critical thinking... such as arranging wood wedges, gaskets, and take to fit a leak, or tightening a flange in the optimum order....reseting circuit breakers in a certain order... It wouldn't be the top fun thing in anybody's list but also not boring dull.