View Single Post
Old 06-04-20, 04:05 PM   #4
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

1. Only RA is still active developing mod.
2. Realism is very subjective thing. But if you wanna play mod with closer to realistic values weapon/sensors etc RA is for you.
For example:
- speed of missiles
- bigger role of NB over BB mode sonars
- more controlable weapon (more weapon modes)
- added new sensors (like LIDAR etc)
- better ship systems emulation like AEGIS (but still far from perfect becasue sonalysts released unfinished game - very hard to fix their hundreds of bugs)

Also RA allows you to play many different than vanilla platforms. Of course lots of new platforms based on mix of interfaces from original. But newest uses mostly own interfaces.
Except "realism" RA rebuilded campaigns and single player missions from Sub command and 688 H/K so its mod with best number of playable missions.

Unfortunatelly some "realism" features makes game less stabile in some situations (but it depends on scenario you play). SimNavalEngine and bugs in exe+dll's doesn't work good with dozens of missiles in the air + airplanes simultanously. Because vanilla missiles had only 2/3 of speed - game was more stabile in the same situations. Also more realistic radar numbers and their emulation has negative impact on situations like above. But its matter mostly in MP sessions - with 6 or more players. In single it works fine - sometimes even better than in vanilla or LwAmi.

Lwami is smaller mod, more compact designed. So more of features "cooperates" good with other features. But LwAmi didn't fix many bugs discovered later.
Also LwAmi is focused on very narrow naval warfare era.
Unfortunatelly LwAmi ins't perfect as some people here describes. In some kind of missions LwAmi havent good stability - is much worse than RA.
But still LwAmi is very nice for playing. Big matter of BB sonar looks nice. And Lwami has best Phalanx sound :P

Ok, time to bust some myths:
1. RA is good for MP and bad for single - nonsense writed by people who plays only single and mostly never read manuals
2. Lwami is more stable mod - ask FPSchazly how many times his game crashed during Liu doctrine one of first missions
3. Lwami is compatibile with vanilla scenarios - its not really truth because most of this scenarios were designed with limited range of sonar detections. LwAmi and RA removed/moved this limits of detection much furthurer than in vanilla. So in many "vanilla" scenarios you are detected in first minutes of mission - and you will hear message:
Mission cannot be completed report for debriefing.
4. RA make russian submarines overpowered - not really. It just didn't make them "boys to beating" like some guys would like to see. Btw sonalysts also didn't made Akula as "weak submarine" so i don't understand this accusations. Russian submarines have own advantages and disadvantages - the same like US submarines.
5. In RA russian platforms uses ultra modern weapon - not always in service in real etc. Its truth, but also in vanilla US submarines had Harpoons and TASM's but in real this weapon wasnt in service in USN. Sonalysts gave some weapons to some platforms only "for game purpose".

Quote:
The Russians have all the newest ships - Admiral Grigorovich and the even bigger Admiral Gorshkov-class frigates , all the subclasses of the Steregushchiy-class corvettes (Steregushchiy ,Soobrazitelnyy, Gremyashchiy, etc.) - and all of them have the latest offensive and defensive weaponry.
Its truth. In my opinion its pointless if you do this only for 1 "side/nation" because this ships haven't equal (in era terms) opponents. In other hand, its not problem because you don't have to use this newest ships in missions. You can but you don't have to
Maybe in future releases opponents will be also "updated to "today standards"

And i agree russian weapon systems are unbalanced in comparison for US. Russian newest corvettes have better antimissile defence than AEGIS fleet of 3-4 ships
But this "bug" is matter of really simpliffied design sonalysts AEGIS because for game engine weapon channels doesn't really matters. So fact AEGIS radars can track and simultanously engage many targets is NOT emulated in DW correctly.

Last thing about RA is - we still play every weekend MP sessions with this mod. Game host is located in Central Europe so it could be a problem for players from USA time zones (but we have american players too).
If you are interested participation in MP sessions just click on my signature - its invitation to DWDL discord channel.
Also i record videos from all MP sessions on YT - so you can chack how it looks (but watching DW is little boring :P )

My YT Dangerous Waters channel

Reinforce Alert developers are banned here because mod changes .exe file which isn't follows licence rules. But Subsim is still beneficient of RA mod because players interested this mod are big part of DW community here. In my opinion its not fair.
So if you wanna contact with RA devs - use forum below:

Red Rodgers forum - RA discussion