View Single Post
Old 06-06-17, 02:12 AM   #30
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Downloads: 148
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I wish everyone would stop calling Cold Waters a subsim!
It's not a subsim.

It's a strategy and action game.

Compared to real subsims like DW, SC and SH series it's just plain arcadish...

Not only it does NOT really put you behind the "wheel" as all controls and functionality are dumbed down compared to subsims.

Yes, one thing it does have are gorgeous graphics!
I'm sorry but i have to disagree. You do realize that a submarine has different crews each with its own role, right? For example, being a commander does not qualify you as an expert sonalyst. Silent Hunter does simulate at some degree each role, but fail to simulate a typical crew role. Instead you are forced to be a multitask crew member which is simply not realistic.

Cold Waters is neither a sonalyst sim, a radiomen sim nor fire control technician sim. Cold Waters is about being the Commander and his role is not to master the sonar nor master the machine room, his role is to give commands and take decisions, in order words decide the proper tactics that fits better to a given situation. So in this case, as you can see Cold Waters begin to get into sim category.

As a commander only what a sim must offer at this point is not manual control of multiple components of a submarine, but well done combat environment that force the commander to think twice and make them pay a high price when failing to do its homework (eg. failing to get enough awareness situation before proceeding with an attack).

What Cold Waters needs to really make it a good simulator is not to force you to manual control each aspect thus making it unrealistic but rather simulate systems failures and human error (for both AI and player crews) where applicable without adding artificial difficulties in order to avoid/reduce the 'gaming effect'.

Don't take me wrong, i really love having to plot everything by myself in Silent Hunter (although i don't like the tools that are given to you) but i would not bash Cold waters just because it doesn't offer that. It seems that some people failed to understand what Cold Waters was about!

Update: Obviously i ignored all bugs which MUST be fixed

Last edited by xXNightEagleXx; 06-06-17 at 02:33 AM.
xXNightEagleXx is offline   Reply With Quote