View Single Post
Old 02-14-08, 05:21 PM   #379
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
Please make sure to use the ColladaMax plugin from FeelingSoftware. Max's built-in plugin doesn't work.

http://www.feelingsoftware.com/compo...id,80/lang,en/

Also, while model export works in S3D, even the above plugin doesn't totally import the model correctly. Geometry should be fine, and the uv-channels too, but materials are not imported 100% correctly and this release has issues with object hierarchy. You have to do some post-processing:

- if the original Dat-model has no normals, it will look facetted. Smooth the model by applying a Edit Normals modifier. Select all normals, click 'Reset', select all normals again, click 'Unify'.
- (multi)materials aren't set up properly. Limitation of Collada format.
- materials don't use the correct map channel. Manually change this.
- textures aren't always found. Manually change this.
- several more material related things since not every parameter is supported by Collada. For instance, AO map can't be assigned, so you have to modify the material, add the AO-map and set the channel yourself.

Basically, directly after import, pressing 'Render' won't give you a proper render right away...

In fact, I don't recommend just yet to use current S3D release to export models to do actual work on. The models are probably not importable when next release is out (unless again manually fixed which may be difficult).

[edit] I will make a full tutorial on post-processing once I'm done with the programming.
???
Not good news ...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote