View Single Post
Old 07-13-19, 04:50 PM   #9
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Location: The land of the free with a glorious military history (France)
Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyMowgli View Post
You didn't see any TA on french SSBN or SSN for one good reason, they are deployed / retrieved by a specialized ship called "Caudataires" when the sub leave or come back to l'ile Longue (base of the french SNLE) or Toulon (base of the SSN).

There is 2 of this specialized ship in service the Phaéton (Y 656) and Machaon (Y 657)

The system TA called ETBF in french is made by ECA group. Here what they look like.

A new system exist (there is not known photo just a drawing) it should equip the SSBN (retrofit) and new SSN (Suffren class)

I didn't know about this system, however, I have a correction to add, after some quick check, in that it seems the ETBF isn't a towed sonar array, but a towed radio antenna, which is also mounted on other French-made boats.

Source: https://envelopmer.blogspot.com/2014...haeton-et.html

EDIT: second correction, it might be that the system can work with multiple kind of towed antennas, but I have issues finding clear sources saying it does it, most detailed sources talk about ETBF being for a VLF radio antenna but I guess it could also be used for a towed array sonar.
Rufus Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote