Old 10-08-21, 02:50 PM   #242
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

23 May 1942
Ships assigned to Timor appear to have retreated, using Kendari as a bastion

Gilbert Islands
One of my recon-in-force destroyer task forces reached Ocean Island, near the Gilberts. Instead of finding tenders, it was attacked by a submarine. The torpedoes missed and we got some damage on it before it slipped away. I doubt the sub would have moved through this shallow-water hex routinely--this is a sub base, I just haven't found the tender. I'm going to leave some mines here for him and continue the recon.

Thailand
Tavoy was swept and we did not get many fighters up to oppose it. 2 Hurricanes went down along with 1 Oscar.

The enemy army has reached Tavoy and the bulk of Force Lauren is still days away. A small consolation is that they have such numbers that I think even if I had not screwed up maneuvering my forces, they'd still take it before I could respond. I'm going to hit them as hard as I can with bombers. Also, at sea, my Brit CVBG and covering force will change roles, instead of the heavies covering the carriers as the carriers look for ships to attack, the heavies will provide gunfire support to Tavoy while the carrier provides fighter cover in case of bomber attack.

China
Bomber attacks on Kaifeng have resumed and this time the fighters linked up as they should. No losses, except for enemy troops on the ground of course. The numbers keep looking even worse though, for the land battle. I'm doing an artillery attack tomorrow to probe them a bit, depending on the outcome I might start pulling back.

Timor
Not much happened in Timor itself, but we did spot a CVL/CVE hanging out with the naval forces idling at Kendari. I'm going to take advantage of them being away by sending a minelayer to Koepang to do its thing.

Sumatra
We counterattacked in Sabeng, causing 600 casualties without loss, nearly wiping out the enemy presence there.

Paratroopers hit Tandjoengbalai but are finding themselves outnumbered.

Reinforcements/refits
Repairs completed on DD Hatfield at Sydney, ship returned to service (endurance upgrade--this old clunker will head east to join supply convoys)
Repairs completed on CLAA Atlanta at San Francisco, ship returned to service (AA upgrade)
Repairs completed on DMS Long at San Francisco, ship returned to service (AA upgrade)
DD Preston beginning refit in shipyard at Los Angeles
DD Cassin beginning refit in shipyard at Los Angeles
SS Gar taken out of commission to begin refit at Dutch Harbor (radar)
VT-6 converting to TBF-1 Avenger
2th BG arrives at Stockton (ugh. These are B-25s, 4 squadrons worth, but it's a fully restricted unit. Which makes these excellent, modern airframes trainers, at least until I can find another aircraft to transition them to)