View Single Post
Old 04-23-20, 02:59 PM   #4
DeimosFormido
Swabbie

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
DEEP sets the top to run at 30 feet below the layer or 350 feet if no layer, as I recall.

That explains why it felt like aprox 200 ft, layer is usually around 150.

Quote:
Note that if you fire at 600 feet and set the torp at LEVEL, it will stay at 600 feet.

Yeah I know, but the point is precisely for me to be able to engage two targets at different depths without having to change the depth of my big fat sub before each launch. I mean, the fancy Mk48s have wires, they can literally be remote controlled and do all this fancy stuff, yet I can't tell the damn thing "go down to 600 ft and find something to blow up"

Yes, I could in theory activate the torp and manually adjust its depth, but that means I'd have to not pay attention to the other target while I do that. Not to mention the ton of ways that limits what I can do with torps, due to wire breaks and stuff.

Quote:
In my experience, a MK48 set at DEEP has no problem finding subs below the layer no matter how deep.

??

I don't usually stalk my torpedoes in 3D view so I've never seen them do this, but doesn't that seem weird?? Torpedo sensor "cones" are wide and flat, how on earth would a Mk48 at ~180 ft detect an Oscar at 700 ft??
DeimosFormido is offline   Reply With Quote