View Single Post
Old 03-17-16, 12:24 PM   #1614
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default POLITICS BY OTHER MEANS: THE GREAT WHITE FLEET!

USS KANSAS BB21 USS VERMONT BB20 USS MINNESTOTA BB22<U.S. Atlantic Fleet Battleships, steaming out of Hampton Roads, VA. , in December 1907, to begin their cruise around the World. Leading two ships are: Kansas (BB-21) and Vermont (BB-22).
Quote:
Roosevelt didn't want a break with Japan, as the United States was ill-prepared for war. Most of our battle fleet was concentrated in the Atlantic, and there were only a handful of armored cruisers on duty in the Pacific. In the event of war with Japan, this small contingent that made up the Asiatic Battle Fleet would have to abandon the Philippines for West Coast ports until the United States had strength enough to go on the offensive. Thus, to impress upon Japan that the US Navy could shift from the Atlantic to the Pacific, Roosevelt ordered the Great White Fleet to sail around the world. The President also wanted to find out what condition the fleet would be in after such a transit. As he stated before the fleet's departure, "I want all failures, blunders and shortcomings to be made apparent in time of peace and not in time of war." But, more importantly, Roosevelt felt that a successful cruise of this magnitude would provide the American people with an example of US naval prepardness, strength and range.
I guess when dealing with the 'Yellow Peril' in 1907 ?!! it helps to dub fleet the Great White Fleet...move over RIMPAC-
The apogee of 'gunboat diplomacy'! http://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/c/cruise-great-white-fleet-mckinley.html

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote