View Single Post
Old 02-15-20, 05:40 PM   #443
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
I played recently a single mission, "Against All Odds". In the Skipjack you need to get to the depths of the Bohol. No matter what I do however about 3/4 of the way to the Bohol from the starting point the game says "FAIL". I did not see a specific time limit on this mission. Is there a time limit and if so I think it is the only one I have seen. It always tells me I have failed the mission around 3/4 of the way there.
I do not like that scenario. You do manage to get much further than I ever did. First time I ran that, years ago, I thought "what a joke!" You do not stand a chance against all of that. There are a total of 37 patrol and other craft, ranging from sampans to gunboats to full destroyers. There are 5 sets of vessels that do nothing but endlessly circle over your anticipated path to the "EndZone". All of the other ships will cruise up and down your anticipated path to destination. They can't help but find you. Your sub enters the game at 1000 hours on 22nd August, 1942, and the "timer" triggers at 1300 hours on 8th August, 1942. It does not appear to be used however, and I don't think it could be. You have to travel a grand total of about 64km, or 35nm from where you enter the scenario, to where you get a mission completed message. All of this in the small area between Cebu, Bohol & Leyte... Now, where you start the game, the water is only 18 meters deep, which would be like 59-60 foot of water. It gets shallower as you go forward, so you might be hitting the bottom, if you submerge. The water does get a bit deeper further up, like to 20m, but that's still only 65 foot deep... I have never succeeded at this scenario, though I have tried multiple ways, including "historical". The closest I got was to stay on the surface, and move southeast, toward that little island ahead, trying to slide between two sets of fishing boats, running over and ramming the little guys when necessary, and shooting it out with the gunboat coming at you head-on, though it seems a bit tough to sink... I went "behind" the island, hoping it'd be a screen for me, but it isn't much... You can ram the sampan and suffer no harm, the fishing boats might hurt a little... A torpedo directed at the gunboat helped, but the gunboat usually moves too nimbly anyway. Somehow or other, they always manage to put a couple of shells into my sub before I've even got the sub's guns crewed, and usually, it's basically over before I get rid of the gunboat. Those armed trawlers are not nice, and when the subchasers and Akizuki catch up with you, should you survive long enough, it ain't pretty... At least the deck gun is up front, which helps at the beginning of the scenario, but does hurt later when you're being chased. I do not like that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrulj View Post
I'm having some trouble starting the mod. I installed it, started the game, but when I go into campaign start the game crashes. It goes trough the name choice, the intro video and base, but when I select start mission it loads until it reaches "no game too difficult" and then crashes. I am unsure what is causing it, and what could be the fix for it?
You didn't tell us much about what you have. First of all, does the game work fine without the mod? Second, where did you install the game? Which OS are you using, and is it 64-bit? How much RAM do you have? Have you used the LAA or another memory applet on the SH4.exe so that it can address more of your RAM? This is necessary, else it will crash. Did you empty your Save folder (usually C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" before attempting to run FotRSU? this is necessary, else it might crash. These and potentially more questions need answers. Now, there are basic install instructions in the first posts of this thread, and more detailed ones in the Support folder of the mod. Those are in pdf format. Let us know!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote