Old 02-15-20, 10:22 AM   #440
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
propbeanie,
I found 17 files that were deleted during the installation of the FotRS UE mod. They're in the original FotRS mod download but not in my game's Data folders. I came upon it quite by accident when I found the "Insertion Coast Watcher Bouganville" folder empty, missing the .mis and the .tsr files, after getting an error message on my re-install. There are 3 or 4 other Insertion folders under "PatrolObjectives" that are also missing .mis & .tsr files.

Apparently, on my computer, there's a problem with the length of the file name. Other players may be missing these files as well and not be aware of it. Go into the actual game program were ever its located; and by using this path: "\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific \Data \Campaigns \Campaign \PatrolObjectives\InsertionCoastWatcherBouganville " see if the Insertion Coast Watcher Bouganville.mis" (and .tsr) are actually there. Also check for missing files in the 3 or 4 other insertion patrols with longer names, they're not hard to find. There are 17 missing files in total from mine which I tried to insert by cut & paste to put the missing files into the proper folders, without success. Got the same error message about the file name being too long.

I hope this is helpful.
Not a good thing at all. When I encountered similar before, I thought I was going nutz (alright, no snide remarks - I know, it is a short drive). There is nothing in the mod that I can find that is doing that sort of behavior. There is a 260 character limit to file names and paths combined in Windows. Also, after the last Windows 10 "Update", I now have files that have suddenly become "Read-only" in their properties pages. This has necessitated me running the "Properties" and clearing the "Read-only" attribute on the game folder every time I want to do a mod activation, else I only get a partially modded game.

On my computer, I have a folder structure of "F:\Games \FotRSUE \Data \Campaigns \Campaign \PatrolObjectives \Insertion Coastwatcher Bouganville \Insertion Coastwatcher Bouganville.mis", which comes to 131 characters, if I counted correctly. In my example path there, I added extra spaces before the backslashes so that the line will "break" on them, so those are not counted, but the ones in the names are. The longest file names are the "Insertion Commando East China Sea 01.mis" and #2 files, so they add an additional 2 characters. Now, I use a short "Root" folder names (Games) and name my Silent Hunter folder after the mod (FotRSUE), which saves me characters. This practice comes from my SH3 days, where that was important for the old Win98SE limits. Even with the longer path in your game, you are at 155 characters, by my count, including the "D:" for drive, the spaces in the file path and names, and not counting the spaces you added for line breaks in the text input here... well-within the Windows environment limit. I am beginning to think that either the same thing happening on my computer is also happening on yours, or maybe ~everyone's~ computers, from the MS updates, or something fishy is going on here, like maybe bad hard drive sectors or something similar... I do know that my game folder drive is getting about 3/4 full from all of the modding I've been doing, so perhaps that is contributing to the effect. But whatever it is, I do NOT like it. Does anyone else have the same effect here that von Zelda describes?

As mentioned, I also found some bad dates in the Flotillas file assignments, which would cause trouble under certain situations, depending upon the dates of coming back in to End Patrol and for a new mission assignment, but those will be "fixed" in the next release, which is again in the "testing" phase. Those particular files included a goodly portion of the "OPS" assignments a player might encounter, including the Bougainville and South China Sea assignments. Probably the thing to do von Zelda is to look in your "Trash" can on the Windows desktop, and see if you can find those files in there. You can sort them by date in several ways, or by name, but on the Home Edition of Windows, you cannot see who did the deleting. I'm not sure that would help anyway, because MS always blames the User. You could also de-activate the mod, and see if the folders re-populate the way things were when JSGME first started.

It might be that this has been going on for a while on your computer. Maybe also do a ChkDsk of the drive, either from a Command line, or Windows File Manager (Computer) by right-clicking on the target drive under This PC, choosing "Properties", and on that page, the "Tools" tab, then under the "Error-checking" section, "Check now..." button. Windows might tell you that it can do that the next time you start your computer (if the drive is "locked"), or it might be able to dismount the drive and do it. There is a check box for that utility which you can use to have it "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors", but if you have a very large hd, that will take a good long while. The "Automatically fix file system errors" will take long enough as it is. Then, there is also the possibility of Windows settings on your computer for the drive. I thought of something else, but it just flittered out of my brain... I hate head colds... Anyway, what are the specs on your computer and that particular hard drive?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-15-20 at 10:54 AM. Reason: "either by" didn't have an "either"... lol
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote