View Single Post
Old 06-29-19, 06:47 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Very well explained Bstanko6
I still have trouble to figure out if in bad weather situation my hydrophone will perform better at 40-50m instead of 17-25m which would be logical because a lot of surface noise is eliminated when you are deeper. However with my sonar guy at 0 additional promo points I cannot see any difference.

My system for the interception: First I use logic: Where could my target head towards? In SH5 this is a awkward judgement because it could go just anywhere, only land masses would be a reason for course changes, and it's never zig-zaging (which is not smart).

Then, if it's further away I will not try to make a direct surface intercept, but instead draw a guestimate angle to get closer and start a 4-bearing sonar tracking, if the different bearing angles are very small it means the target is fairly going away from me in the bearing direction, so I will go flank on surface in that direction for not losing contact.

Otherwise I will get quickly all data about course, range, and speed of the contact for a perfect interception by analyzing the different bearings and my triangulations after changing position. The 4-bearing method is a basic tool which gives incredible accurate results in SH5 without the need to ever visually see the target, also because, as said, contacts are fool enough to always head in a straight line. Did convoy captains not know about the 4-bearing method? Oh yeah they did know, they were not stupid, mind you, but I guess their attitude was: the shorter the convoy time lasts, the better for survival, so this could explain the absence of frequent course changes by convoys in the Atlantic or North Sea. AFAIK the Japanese convoys used different tactics. Also what I never see in SH5: convoy units which all in the prey of panic start heading in all possible directions once submarines are spotted. Suicidal for single units, but saving the big pack of the convoy.

Once close enough it's still time to identify the target before shooting and with my previous data I'm almost always in perfect shooting position. With or without real navigation in SH5, also in SH3/SH4, but not in SH1 where the AI is *really* smart, too bad that I can not draw a single line or angle on the map...I would easily pay the devs to modify this old game for me

Fact is that in reality this was not so easy and the hydro equipment not so powerful to always use this strategy, what's more: what is the value of perfect data gathering if the enemy radar is impeding you any good approach to the target (later in the war)? So skippers needed to invent some tricks out-of-the-book, but of course the 4-bearing was well-known to all skippers, hydrophone crews and navigators.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-29-19 at 07:39 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote