View Single Post
Old 10-02-13, 11:20 AM   #5
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652
Uploads: 0

So the torpedoes specifications in that "Realistic" game are not realistic.

Well, I kind of knew that but, here is the discussion at the Matrix website regarding that "Realistic" game and the "Realistic" torpedoes:

"So the "range" of some weapons in Command is dictated not my the weapon itself, but by the limitations of the AI in handling it. I found this revelation surprising."

"This is one of those things that needs to be made clear from the get-go. I am also surprised by it. I never like using the database to manipulate the AI's actions"

"The reason why this is done is you don't want the AI (or the player) to shoot at a target at the very edge of their weapon's range but instead shoot at a range that does not let the target quickly get out of range. If you look at early naval simulations you'll see this issue consistently (so SA-5 is shot at me at max range, I quickly reverse my course moving out of range, wasted SAM shot, rinse repeat).
If you look in our manual go to 8.6 and read our DLZ Why it Matters essay. Sums up many of the issues surrounding this kind of thing."

The player is handled because the game assumes that he does not know what he is doing, and would not learn through a couple of mistakes he would come to make.

Gee when I play a game that I paid $100,00 and change, I want to learn something and grow through my discoveries of the details of the game, instead of having some pre-chewed baby food delivered, not at $108.25.

Now, let's take a look at real hard facts about the Mk 48 ADCAP: in Jane's 2002-2003 (10 years ago) Underwater Water Systems, the specs was that the max speed was 55Kt and the RANGE on a flat run was 38 Km @ 55Kt or 50 Km @ 40Kt.

Meaning the range for a fully fueled MK 48 is 20.5NM at max speed of 55Kt, and the ride is roughly 22 minutes long.
And the range for a fully fueled MK48 is 26.99NM at speed of 40Kt, and the ride is roughly 40 minutes.

As you can see we are so far from the 6nm range, and I am starting to have second thoughts about having purchased that game.

1 International Knot = 1 nautical mile/hour= 1.852 meters/hour =6.076 feet/hour. Distance = Rate x Time

So in the case of Sub A (us) shooting a torp. on the 000 at 55Kt (Hypothetically reach that speed instantly out of the tube), to Sub B (Whatever country), when they are at 10 nm away from each other. Sub A is stationary and Sub B is fleeting away at 30Kt on a flat trajectory (never happens). Every minute, the torp. gains 766 meters on Sub B, it will take roughly 24 minutes to reach Sub B. The Torpedo will run out of fuel before it reaches Sub B. Now, in the case the Torpedo is launched from Sub A at a speed of 40Kt, the torp. will gain on Sub B, 308 meters every minute. At the end of its run the torp. will be 5,892 meters away from Sub B. It would take 60 minutes for the torp. to reach Sub B.

In that case at which distance should Sub A start to consider a launch at Sub B to begin to reach it? For a speed of 55kn, 8.77nm; and for a speed of 40kt, 6.81nm.

I don’t have the acceleration rate of the Mk 48 ADCAP, meaning how long does it take for that torp to reach it's programmed speed, but I would bet it is very fast, considering its engine.

As you can see we are far from the 6nm for a high speed torpedo range including acceleration, deceleration and evasive maneuvers if any. I would personally shoot between 7 and 8nm at 55Kn and between 5 and 6nm at 40kt.

Now if that game would calculate the real torpedo fuel consumption, acceleration, deceleration, re-attack maneuvers instead of cutting corners, the game would BE MORE realistic.

Now, let's take a look at something else. If Sub B is getting away from sub A, this is what we get, but what about if Sub B is closing on Sub A who is traveling at 10Kt toward sub B?....Then you can shoot that torpedo from a longer distance, because the distance gained on Sub B every minute, is greater as the Torp. speed will be added to the Sub B speed. Yet, The realistic game tells you the Torpedo range is still 6nm. At that point I am asking for a refund!

Then again, I wonder if in "Tom Clancy SSN" the Torp. fuel consumption is realistically modeled. After all Tom Clancy is not a Geeky Week End Warrior!

To be continued!

Last edited by biosthetique; 10-03-13 at 01:26 PM.
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote