View Single Post
Old 10-07-20, 05:03 AM   #56
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to address some points now:

1). Telegraph and set speed are in TODO list, got it.

2). Hydrophone "camera" synchronization is something I thought would annoy me, probably best to keep it optional, togglable. Not a bad idea.

3). "but I learnt that I didn't have enought time to tma the torp and I have to rely solely on sensor information for doing the evasion".
That is what I have found myself as well. When I started I though the game would be more "chill", TMA would take the largest portion of the time and every solution would be perfect. It turns out I didn't understand how underwater combat works.
I now believe that the romantic visage of silent assassin that only listens and goes slowly is just a fantasy. You must be fast, you must rapidly react to all new hydrophone contacts, you must be energetic: cavitation is a necessity, pings, rapid course changes and decoy spam. Accurate TMA is only the first shooter's privilege, when the first torp launches, precision and leisure goes out the window.
For example: you see new hydrophone contact, you listen to it, it's a torp or maybe a torpedo tube flood noise, you immediately go tangential to it at flank and drop 3-4 decoys. No time for TMA indeed.

4). Bearing ray data generation rate should probably be tunable in UI. It's fine for me. I definitly hated DW's default timing that was like 5 minutes or something like that.

5). "Old lines should disappear automatically and old lines that should be thinner and darker".

Not a bad idea, but also needs some kind of tuning. Maybe it's better to make old ray data more sparse as well, I don't know.

6). "I had bad time looking for the correct line crossing between Bow and Towed sonars".
When bow and towed trackers track one merged contact they are synchronized, purple error leg will base itself on the correct ray crossing, just FYI.

7). "error dot stack".

Not sure I'd like that. Maybe much later, but definitely not soon. I understand the sentiment, It's what we all are used to, I just don't want to focus on TMA in the nearest future and really love/"proud of" the purple legs

8). "with 3 controls to select the speed, course and distance of the target".
If you mean textual/digital input of these parameters, I think it's a nostalgia speaking to you. Mouse is, in my experience, 10 times faster. Even DW favored mouse movement, and it's DEMON screen unrealistic fixation on integer speed numbers made the speed lock of the TMA screen too powerful. There's no reason for any ship to go exactly 20 kts, for example, especially in the game where there is a direct engine power control nob. All speeds will be floating point, and you'll need the flexibility of the mouse.
Generally, I'm not sure I'll be doing a numeric input for contact this year. Cluttering and information overload are more important problems, as you have probably noticed. Maybe it's better to just open-source the client later so the others can do things I'm too lazy or don't want to do.

9). The plan for now is to make a campaign and add 3-4 interesting playable subs and a bunch of torps that are really different. Twin-towed-array sub like DW's LA, 3-tube pseudo-russian firepower-focused something, maybe some kind of underwater jamming thingie, rocket-torps are the things that come to mind.

Last edited by Boris-Barboris; 10-07-20 at 07:26 AM.
Boris-Barboris is offline   Reply With Quote