View Single Post
Old 10-12-09, 06:32 PM   #24
mbv
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks Sonarman

Found it and had a play with the new version. The new download is over twice the size of the last one. I wondered why and then found out during the installattion process that it wants to install the Direct X August 2009 update and C++ 2008 too !! After letting these install it all worked fine for me. They have added a few features now which are not listed anywhere eg. F4 closes the HUD for a clearer view of events (although it does not shut off the star icons above ships - Totem you need to shut those off too with F4! ), there is a game timer countdown now at top left, there's a six page pdf manual and if you hover your mouse over a ship an info. panel briefly appears. There may be other new stuff I haven't found yet.

Overall it looks good and plays well. There are some graphics glitches eg. flame and smoke from a cannon does not appear at the muzzle but slightly to one side which looks a bit odd close up, but you won't notice it zoomed out.

I would still like to see more damage modelling too like broken masts and destroyed guns/decking. Would be nice if the weather changed a bit too during a long battle or between battles.

Setting the sea detail to Good still doesn't work for me, I can only play it on Simple. Also the Success Rating at the end of a battle doesn't show a percentage score for me now, just an empty wreath My setup is Win XP SP3, AMD 64 3700, 7900GT 512mb graphics, 2 Gig RAM, External audio.

Not a bad game and quite tempted by the full version, but I would like to know more about what is in the full version first in terms of ships and scenarios.

Example of graphics glitch with gunfire not aligned to cannon firing.....

Example of Success Rating page not showing a score......

mbv is offline   Reply With Quote