View Single Post
Old 01-20-22, 05:40 PM   #40
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

As a student, for 6 weeks in summer, I was working as kind of a "cook", from 1600 to 2300. The kitchen was super small, the air was thick, temp was above 40°C all the time since opening windows was forbidden by police due to complaints, and the Beergarden were it was had around 150 seats inside and I thinka round 250 or 300 outside: an din summer it was always full house, and crowded, and super hectic. And in the middle of it was little me... I was hopelessly overstrained, it was exhausting, from week to week there were more complaints (which I fully understand - I would have fired myself...), and when I went home at night, my skin was sticky like glue and stank of sweat and frying oil. It was hell. Of course, underpaid too.

I quit voluntarily. Its the only job in my life I ever quit because I was unable to get it under control. Its a miracle that I lasted 6 weeks. This one went over my head.

Much later I learned that the beergarden owners consumed cooks like other people eat burgers. Usually they lasted less than 4-5 weeks. So seen this way I fared not that shabby than I thought. Still it was a terrible job. And I still feel an urge to apologize to the many guest whose evenings I ruined with what I now would call "merciless food".

But I learned one thing. Never visit a restaurant with a kitchen were guests cannot look into. Yes - right because of the possible reasons you now think of.

If somebody ever visity my place and looks for a superb quality restaurant but friendly, intimate service and feeling but grounded prices, its the "Gasthaus Stevertal" in the Stevertal near Nottuln, maybe 40 bicycle minutes west of Münster. Its family-held in third generation, cozy, gemütlich, and the cuisine is superb. From one of the rooms you can sit and eat while having direct look over the open counter into the kitchen, its idela if you are alone there, so I know from own eyesight that their kitchen is run excellently, and clean. I visit them only once a year or so, but the visit and stay is always a "bomb". The rent rooms, too. The staff is very kind and sympathetic. They live for their work, and they love it and are proud of their acchievements. It cannot get any better, its the only restaurant I know for which I have nothing but praise. And I can trust the quality of their foods and their clean kitchen blindly.

https://www.gasthaus-stevertal.de/